The Pichi Richi Railway began running in 1878 as Port Augusta and Government Gums Railway. Quorn was the cross-roads when travelling north to south, or east to west across Australia. During the WWII almost 200,000 Australian troops travelled north through Quorn on the Central Australia Railway when the Quorn CWA – Country Womens’ Association served over 1,000,000 meals to troops.
Lovingly and authentically restored by the PRR volunteers it’s now back on the rails and so worth seeing, the outside is really interesting but the interior of this train is just magnificent.
PRR Railway Workshop guided tours are available and are very interesting. Tickets can be booked at the Flinders Ranges Visitors Information Centre, Quorn Railway Station, Railway Terrace.
orn Railway Station and Station Yard walk and the self-guided Quorn Historical Building Walking Tour all highlight the importance of this region, the history of the area and showcase the range of buildings around the town. Paper copies are available at the Flinders Ranges Visitor Information Centre.
The Powell arid flora gardens are located just 880 metres from the SBSA, with more than 200 local plant species growing in this climate of extremes; biodiverse rich gems from Quorn and surrounds. More info : ABC Gardening Australia program.
Originally known as RW Foster’s Great Northern Emporium, you can see a wonderful display of shopping history. Emily’s Bistro offers a unique doing experience.
Directly opposite the SBSA is the Quorn Craft Shop and they have available some very tasty and fresh locally made produce. Your biggest decision might be, which preserves and jams you won’t buy. Each month the Craft and Produce Markets are held in the Town Hall, Railway Terrace, Quorn.
Quorn and District War Memorial Swimming Pool was extensively renovated in 2015. The Visitor Information Centre or website provides opening hours or check the sign at the pool entrance.
The magnificent scenery surrounding Quorn makes it renowned, and this landscape has featured in many movies and TV shows, including THE SUNDOWNERS, THE WATER DIVINER, THE SHIRALEE, WOLF CREEK series. For more info ABC TV.
Key Diary Dates
NEW!! ILLUMINART projected onto the Silos in Quorn is a free event showing every night
Quorn Movies tends to screen monthly – Flinders Flicks
Quorn Produce and Craft Markets are held monthly in the Quorn Town Hall
- January 26: Australia Day celebrations (see Flinders Ranges Council website)
- March: Quorn Bronco Branding
- March or April: Easter weekend special rail events at the Pichi Richi Railway
- April 25: ANZAC Day – refer to PRR website for special commemorative events
- May: Quorn Country Music Muster
- May, second Sunday – Mothers Day – check PRR website for that special train trip for Mum and the family
- June: Quorn Men’s Open Golf Tournament
- June: Queens Birthday long weekend
- June: Pichi Richi Marathon
- August: Rally of the Ranges
- August: Quorn Jockey Club
- September: Quorn Agricultural Show
- September: Fathers Day – refer to PRR website for special railway events
- September or October: A Brush With Art
- October: SA Labor Day weekend
- December: Quorn Christmas Pageant, Christmas and New Year celebrations
Forthcoming Diary Date
Pinkerton Creek – Bush Tucker Program is being established in Quorn
As dates of some events may change, for the latest information please refer to the FRC Diary of Events.